Tuesday, January 10, 2012

When The Stars Are Aligned

Photography isn't my occupation. It's more of a hobby. But it has infiltrated itself into every nook and cranny of my mind. Maybe you can relate. Every time I pass by a natural field splashed with light from the "golden hour" on my way to work I'm thinking tripod, f/11, ISO 50, remote release. Then I'm bummed I don't have time to stop and take the shot. Or any time a friend shares a killer shot of that hard to find bird that they somehow managed to photograph perfectly so you can see every detail in the feathers; I'm thinking, "dang it, I hate you." Then I'm kicking myself for not getting up early that morning to find that perfect photographic opportunity.

More often than not when I go out for a day of photography, I end up with a lot of shots that, for me, are just mediocre at best. I've found though that no matter how mediocre the catches of the day were, I always  have a great time. It's like therapy, without the big bill that goes along with it. Photography is, for me, the great escape from the stressful and mundane stuff I must deal with every day.

Sometimes though the stars seem to be aligned. I plan a day of photography, make decisions about where the best place to go might be, check the weather forecast, clean the gear, pack the car. A cup of java in the wee hours of the morning (that's a whole other discussion--I question my sanity sometimes when I get up at 3 am to go somewhere not too close to shoot a sunrise). I head out, the commute is no problem. And then the magic happens. Multiple shots that you just know are going to look great. Sunrise is spectacular, great wildlife encounters in just the right light, a couple of lifers. A dream day. I wish for those dream days every time I go out, but am content with less than stellar shots in exchange for the free therapy.

On a recent outing my plan was to capture some interesting foggy landscape shots with birds. I was very pleased with this one. The stars were aligned for foggy landscapes.

So what about you? What have your experiences been like as a photographer, professional or otherwise?

6 comments:

  1. I could have written this word for word about me...except for the coffee part. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice - you could use a few more coots though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used my ninja Coot calling skills, but alas all I could attract was a few hundred of them.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Glad I'm not alone in this. Photography can be so frustrating at times, but still it's just too darn fun to care.

      Delete
  4. Awesome. You are not alone in this thought.

    ReplyDelete